Feb 4, 2008

Lost and Alone

Yesterday I went off to Ulu Yam with Vincent to bring his aunt back to KL for Chinese New Year. You'd be thinking, why can't the aunt come back herself? Good question. First off, she's suffering from mental illness. Down syndrome or whichever it is, I have no idea. Bottom word, she stays in this Welfare Home for the old folks and those mentally handicapped.

I've visited Ulu Yam for my whole life as my grandma stays there (as well as a whole bunch of relatives). Though I don't really fancy that place due to the heat, it's kinda peaceful and it gets me off the KL rush stress. Oh, I'm kinda out of topic already from here.

Back to track, this is not the first time I've went to Ulu Yam to visit Vincent's aunt. In fact, it's just the second time. I still recall that the first time I went there, I'm quite surprised to find that Ulu Yam have these type of places. Maybe because the land there is cheap for them to build such welfare homes? Or is it the fact that it's kinda isolated? I have no idea. My heart kinda twisted when I really look at the old folks there. Listening to the complaints of the caretaker over there doesn't help in comforting me. It gives me a very sickening impression of the people who even have the heart to leave their very own family member there. To think that the phrase 'Blood is thicker than water' makes me sick to the very core.

There are some pictures I've taken using my phone on my visit there last Sunday. It kinda tear me apart to even think of staying in these type of places. Though the caretaker are nice and friendly, but I do have a very clear feeling of how the people there really do feel. Some of them are not even mentally ill. They are just really old and unwanted by their own family members. I recall a story I've read once from a book that teaches the value of our own family...

"Once, there was a family who stays with their very old grandfather. The mom and dad was a very busy person. That leaves the son and the grandfather alone at home most of the time. Needless to say, the son loves the grandfather very much and they used to play together. However, one day, the father comes back, face dark, looked at his very own father and said, 'Dad, I'm sorry but I will have to send you off as I can no longer provide better living for everyone.' Upon hearing that, the grandfather walks off sadly to his room, with tears flowing freely from his wrinkled eyes. That very evening, the father carries the grandfather in a very big basket and when he is about to set off, the young son called out to the father, 'Papa! Papa! When you have sent grandpapa off, don't forget to bring back the basket as well!' Curious, the father turns around and asks the son why. The son said, ' When you are old like grandpapa, I can send you off as well with the basket like what you are doing right now to grandpapa!' Shocked and ashamed, the father puts down the grandfather and apologizes.

I hope you learn something from this story...





No comments: